October 17, 2008

Film Fest Friday - Geri's Games

Today's edition of Film Fest Friday is somewhat unique and calls for a different kind of introduction. As I was searching for a short film to present to you, I was reminded of "Geri's Game", a short film by Pixar that we all remember from A Bug's Life. As I searched YouTube for the short, I discovered not only the short itself, but also various spinoffs done by amateur filmmakers. And so I present to you the original Pixar short "Geri's Game" followed by a home movie spin-off "Don's Game".



And now for something a little different...



Isn't that interesting? "Don's Game" is really just one of many spin-offs of "Geri's Game". I never realized that Pixar's wonderful little short film had inspired so many people to recreate their own production of that classic film.

Now for something completely different. I recently discovered this TV ad for the new "What Will You Celebrate?" campaign at Disneyland and Walt Disney World. What's so special about it? Well, I'll share that after you watch it.



Did you see that part at the end where the boy is celebrating his birthday with the pirates? That was being filmed on one of the nights I was doing guest control for Fantasmic. I knew the shoot was for a Disneyland ad (and I guessed it was for the "Celebrations" promotion), so it's nice to see what the idea was behind what was being shot. It's also quite amazing the amount of time and effort that went into that. The set utilized quite a bit of equipment, and the crew was working all night while I was there (probably even after I left). All that for a bit in a commercial that barely lasts ten seconds.

Okay, I'm outta here.
'Bye everyone!
T.H. Excellence

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just watched a movie called Life is Beautiful, an Italian film about a Jewish man and his son in a concentration camp during WWII. If you get a chance give it a look.