June 07, 2009

Reflections of a Cast Member

A few months ago a friend and I were discussing Disneyland and she asked me whether I preferred being in the park as a guest or as a cast member. I hesitated for a moment, considering each one, then replied, "Cast member. You get a really unique perspective of the park that way."

This is something I've felt ever since I started work at the Magic Kingdom. Though I've been familiar with Disneyland ever since I was a very young, something about switching roles and taking on a position I had never experienced before allowed me to see the park differently. Of course, I can't explain this without stepping back to explain a little bit about the Disney magic.

When Walt Disney built Disneyland, he created more than just an amusement park - he successfully crafted the illusion of a world entirely separate from reality. Accordingly, everything in his world was artistically assembled to uphold and maintain that illusion. The giant stone blocks that compose Indy's forbidden temple do more than just support the structure. They are an important storytelling element that informs each guest about the environment in which his next adventure is about to take place.

However, Walt created more than a lost temple in the middle of the jungle. He built Disneyland out of entire communities, such as those found in New Orleans Square or along Main Street U.S.A. Elaborate locations such as these need more than just buildings. Additional elements are in order, such as a laid-back jazz beat heard in the back alleys of New Orleans or a horse-drawn carriage faithfully making trips up and down Main Street. Finally, the illusion is not complete without one last touch: people. These places could not come to life without cast members to fill the roles of those who live, work, and breathe in this magical world.

This is the perspective I've come to understand as a Disneyland cast member. Every day when I go to work, I do much more than operate a theme park ride. I become a part of the magnificent show that Walt created over fifty years ago. The experience, of course, is absolutely fantastic, and as much as I love being a guest, it should be little surprise that I prefer being a cast member. To experience the magic of Disneyland is an incredible experience, but to be part of the magic is something even greater.
T.H. Excellence

"Disneyland is the star, everything else is in the supporting role."
~Walt Disney

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very interesting. Nice picture too. (Did you take the picture?)
-Excellent Sister

Tim Higley said...

Yup, the pic is mine.
T.H. Excellence

RDH said...

Very well expressed!

Anonymous said...

buy facebook likes
facebook likes

http://www.gameculture.com/2011/03/02/red-bull-augmented-racing http://www.favias.org/page/resume
1000 facebook likes facebook likes 1000 facebook likes
Hi, um, I want a YouTube account and my mom is saying "no" because she thinks it has virus's! So before I make one I just want to be safe. Help me! By the way my computer is emachines. Just in case.

buy facebook likes get facebook likes [url=http://1000fbfans.info]buy facebook likes [/url] get facebook likes