October 11, 2007

A Mini Film Shoot and PhotoBlog!

Lucky for you all this post is a double-feature, one part of which is a PhotoBlog. The other is a fun little experience I had today. So enough talk - on with the show.

The first part of this post is going to take a little bit of explaining. Every freshman at school has to take this eight-week class called First Year Seminar, which is basically just to acclimate you to college and to your major. Since today marked the eighth week, the professor decided that we should do something fun. Being that we're all film geeks, our idea of fun is doing film shoots, so we divided up into groups of five (with my group being the exception of four) and went of to do our respective filming. My group decided to shoot a sort of endorsement for Ticonderoga pencils and how you can use them for anything (which is really just a big ploy). In the video someone is trying to pick the lock on a car door with a paper clip and is failing. Suddenly a hand comes into the frame with a pencil. The carjacker uses the pencil on the lock, and the lock opens immediately.
Unfortunately, since we shot it with the school's equipment, the school owns the copyright and thus I'm not allowed to post the completed project (which I don't even have because the director decided to do the editing) on this blog. So to console your broken hearts, I've included some shots that I took with my camera, which means I own the copyright.

What you see here is a good portion of the class headed over to the ER (that's stands for "Equipment Room") to check out the necessary equipment.


This pic has nothing to do with the shoot. I just took it while everyone else was checking out equipment.


So this was my film crew. The guy in the background was the director/producer/anything else on the set that has any real authority.


Again that's authority man on the right. The girl on the left served as the camera-woman.


The third random person you're seeing in these shots was the hand in the frame with the pencil.



This is when I got attacked by the mic.


And that's me. In case you're wondering, I played the carjacker... breaking into my own car.


Okay, enough of that. On with the PhotoBlog. That's what you really came to see anyway.

Don't know why but I really liked this shot.




Okay, little story here from a couple days ago. I'm walking towards the cafeteria with the intents of having dinner when I happen across a friend of mine on the phone. I tell her that I'm going to dinner and ask her if she's had dinner and if not then does she want to tag along. She says that no, she hasn't had dinner and would like to come but has to finish her phone call, so I sat down to wait. Photographic nerd that I am, I immediately pulled out my camera and started snapping pics. You now know the backstory of the next several shots.







So by now my friend's finished her phone call but is waiting for a friend of hers to get out of class so we can all go eat together. That being the case, we decided to wait by the cafeteria. I took a couple pictures to bide time.


See that shadow on the ground? That's my friend's shadow.


She kept trying to keep it out of frame, but apparently she didn't quite make it.




Okay, so the next series of pics are from that night after dinner. Some of them are a little blurry. Apparently I was taking pictures quicker than I thought.


This fountain looks amazing at night.





Okay, so now we're up to speed with today. All these pictures were taken either before my film shoot or after dinner.



I love fall.






I think I need to get off campus. I'm starting to run out of things to photograph.





And cut! That's a wrap.

Okay, that brings this post to a close. I need to get to bed.

Take care, y'all
T.H. Excellence

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like the one photo of the sunlight through the tree canopy.

Does our car get a film credit in the film project (you know something like "Vehicle generously provided by...."?

Mom says get to bed earlier, you have school tomorrow!
d

Tim Higley said...

Ah, the tree canopy. That one actually took some extensive editing. The original was pretty dark.

I'm actually not sure if anyone's getting any sort of credit. After all, it's really only an ad.

T.H. Excellence

Jonathan said...

"I think I need to get off campus. I'm starting to run out of things to photograph."
Hmm...yup. The barbed-wire fence was a little much. :p
You've certainly got some good ones in there though. I hope to see the video some time - keep up the good work!

Tim Higley said...

That wasn't barbed wire. That was one of those chain-link batting cages. I thought it might make for a nice silhouette but apparently some people find it to be a hostile subject.

Anyway, when I get some real free time I'd love to take off and get some shots from elsewhere. Maybe the beach or something. My ultimate goal is to spend a day at Disneyland for the sole purpose of photography, but can't say exactly when that will happen.

T.H. Excellence

Anonymous said...

wow...that sounds like a pretty cool friend of yours. she didn't want you to eat alone, she waited for you to take AMA-ZA-ZING pictures, tried to stay out of the pictures. hmm....maybe i should meet her =D just kidding tim. actually i really, really liked your joshua tree pictures. the rocks and sky are beautiful. plus it reminded me of home! ok, i'm going to bed. have fun reading plato!

Anonymous said...

p.s.- i didn't feel like signing up for anything, so my comment is anonymous....this is kellen by the way!b

Tim Higley said...

Now you're sounding like my dad. As I said to him, "Stop flattering yourself." Anyway, keep checking back. Apparently I'm going to the Wild Animal Park this weekend, so I'll be getting more off-campus shots.

Oh, and "ama-za-zing" isn't a word. It's "amazing", as in "Amazing Spider-Man".

T.H. Excellence