December 18, 2007

A Commentary on Comic Books

A while back my mother asked me what I wanted for Christmas. Superhero enthusiast that I am, the number one item on my list was the Invincible Iron Man: Complete Collection DVD-ROM. But since I stayed up until 4 a.m. one night reading Spider-Man (I swear I only did that once), mom thinks I'm addicted to comic books, so that idea was rejected.

Pretty much anytime I bring up comic books now, mom says they're a waste of time. Quite honestly, I'm not so sure. I mean, yeah, they can be addicting, and they have got to be one of the lowest forms of reading on this planet, but I think there's a bit more depth to comic books than most parents will give 'em credit for.

How so? Here's how so. Even though they're dealing with super-powered events of epic proportions, comic books somehow are still able to regularly reflect the real lives of everyday people and present true-to-life issues. In the early 70's, Amazing Spider-Man #96-98 were written with the sole intent of showing the negative, unglamorous affects that drugs can have. Much of the X-Men franchise, particularly early on during the Silver and Bronze Ages, demonstrated the inclusion of many social and racial minorities with the introductions of various new heroes from these various classes. These are real problems in the real world, and they've been reflected on in fantasy epics.

But wait - there's more! Though they don't do it regularly, comic books do occasionally touch on current events, such as 9/11. But what I really want to mention is a more recent event - Marvel's Civil War.

Obviously this is not an event that took place in real life, but it is a strong reflection on how the government has been edging in on our privacy more and more. The events that led up to Civil War began when the government sought to implant the Superhero Registration Act. When implanted, every super-powered individual would be required to reveal his or her identity to the government and register with them. Some heroes are for it. Some are against. Naturally this causes a major conflict, and the fighting erupts when Tony Stark (a.k.a. Iron Man), an advocate of the act, announces that all resisting superheroes will be hunted down, subdued, and placed under arrest.

How does it end? Honestly I don't know. The series has come to a close, but I don't make a habit of picking up comic books regularly, so I have yet to finish the story. I left off with Spider-Man locked in combat with Captain America. Epic beyond belief.

Is this really a commentary on our politics?
Obviously.

Exaggerated?
Probably.

Impacting?
Yes!

Civil War may only be a comic book series, but I think it would be almost impossible for anyone to read it without giving though to what's going on in Washington these days.

So much conflict... so many issues.
Heroes had it easy in the old days. They just had to fight somebody with cosmic powers. They never had to fight legislature.

Or each other.

Epic
T.H. Excellence

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very well written commentary, concise with good arguements.

Tim Higley said...

Thanks. Prior to writing this, I had read a few issues of the series and was moved by how powerful it was. Even though it was a fight among superheroes, it seemed incredibly real.
T.H. Excellence