September 19, 2007

A Photo Project

I recently completed a project for class that required photographing 16 different shots, each demonstrating a different lighting technique. I felt sort of weird about my project when it was done because about half of the pictures were really awesome while the other half were just sorta... blah. Anyway, I thought I'd post a couple of the really awesome ones to liven things up a bit.



This picture was meant to demonstrate Rembrandt lighting. The idea of the Rembrandt technique is to use lighting selectively so that it highlights a specific part of the picture. The textbook used an example of an old woman reading a book. In the painting the book was illuminated and casting shadows on the woman's face, the background, etc. I decided to use my hands instead 'cause I was too lazy to get a book.



The idea in this picture is pretty simple: use lighting to show the texture of something. I think it actually turned out pretty good.



Another simple shot. Use lighting as a dramatic agent. I think this picture is actually overly dramatic, but whatever.

Anyway, that's all I have for now. If you like the pics, drop a comment. I put a poll up just recently on favorite superheroes, so if you've got one, share it with the world.

Keep moving forward
T.H. Excellence

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I love the photo with the guy with his hands up.

My favorite super hero is Wonder Woman, but the one I'm most jealous of is Barbie. She has everything!

Thanks for sharing the pics.

Tim Higley said...

Glad you liked it. That's my favorite too, and it went over really well in class.

Hey, I forgot about Wonder Woman. She's a classic.

Anyway, thanks for commenting. Keep checking back and be sure to spread the word about the blog.

Jonathan said...

Nice photos. The one with the hands almost looks like you're holding a light source. Very cool. My favorite is definitely the "hands up" photo. It looks like what one would expect to see when a prowler is first caught by a searchlight. Very nice, though the light in the upper-right does seem to draw a bit of attention away.

Anonymous said...

My favorite was the guitar and amp. I love the textures and the shades of gray. Black and white photography can be much more impressive then color. Very nice job!

Anonymous said...

Hey, those photos are pretty cool!
Nice work, I love the guitar one!
CBH

Tim Higley said...

Thought you would like that one CBH, and glad you liked the pictures overall. I'm hoping my next project will go just as well, if not better.

Anonymous said...

Great job, T. H. Excellence! I really like all the photos! My favorite is the one with the guitar showing all the textures!

My favorite superhero is SuperTim!

T. H. Excellence's mom